Tuesday 6 July 2021

Show Photos: Vlinder

 So, before I dive into writing about Lancey's first dressage show (to summarize: felt amazing, scores less amazing, didn't care), I just have to share these gorgeous photos of one of the Friesians.


Vlinder is the cutest Friesian ever. Despite having huge parents and a great upbringing, she only grew to about 14.3hh, but that pint-sized body holds all of my favourite things about the Friesian. She's schooling Elementary/EM, but we don't have points to show those levels yet, so we were just trotting around at Novice and picking up some grading points.



The photos are by SashaRey Photography, and Sasha Chelin Physiotherapy very kindly sponsored free photos for every single competitor at the show. What a wonderful gift! I can never choose just one or two.



These photos are from Novice 6, her second test. She had a lot of nice moments in this one, but her first test, Novice 5, was the better of the two - she won it with 67.8%. This is the start of a 10m circle on the centreline. 

Finishing the circle. I could have kept that outside hind a little more under her, but I love how nicely she stayed up in the bridle through the circles.


It's a real pity this photo is a little unfocused, but it does show that despite her small stature, she definitely doesn't lack expression in her lengthening.


More lengthening.

This is my favourite of the bunch, I think. After another centreline and 10m circle, the start of a leg-yield. I can hardly believe that I'm actually sitting straight here - this is my harder side, too, and I struggle to keep my torso straight especially in rising trot. But it seems to be working.


Left hip coming up a little here. Dressage is hard, y'all. Vlinder is a good sport, though.


Starting the walk tour. Dressage is hard, but also fun.


This was walking straight towards the spooky corner where Lancey and I lost a bunch of points. Vlinder was a little wary of it too, but she was soooooo good and rideable. Good girl.


Prepping for the canter transition.


Her canter is frankly amazing, and a 12m circle is really not hard at all when you're 14.3hh, LOL.


She is SO shiny!


Gathering power for the canter lengthening coming out of the corner... 


... and we're off! Who says Friesians can't do a little tail flip too?


Going past the scary corner like a very good girl.



K was reading for me, which made a really big difference. I usually ride from memory, and honestly I almost never forget my tests, but I always worry about forgetting them. Having a reader just gave me one less thing to be quietly freaking out about, especially because I was riding four tests, none of which I've ridden in the last year or more.




I definitely felt pretty good riding these two tests with Vlinder. Vlinny is one of the few horses that I trust 100% and have just never, ever felt nervous on, so that definitely helped, and so did the lower level - but I think that having a reader also made a big difference. I also tweaked my mental show prep a bit (more on that later).


Riding in the Friesians' proper dressage saddles - a new Wintec Hart which I love, and a Bates Isabell Werth - has done a LOT for my position. Still imperfect, but that stupid chair seat I've been wrestling with for like 10 years finally seems to be better.


Levitating Friesian!


Friesians are so fun 💜


Trotting down for the last centreline.


She is just too gorgeous. I think she needs to go to a really ambitious kid - she's quiet enough for a beginner, but there is just so much talent here. She'd absolutely own the higher pony rider levels.


All done, time for big stretchies!

I have to pinch myself every day to be sure that riding these incredible creatures is even real. God is so gracious!


2 comments:

Easter Festival 2024

 Two of the best shows of the year are clustered together in our calendar. For some reason, they both fall in the height of African horse si...