Friday 12 May 2023

The Secret Place

 April was... not easy.


Don't worry---the horses, pets, and husband are all okay. It was another close family member who, after a long decline, found their mental health in extreme difficulty. Their story isn't mine to tell, but it led to a crisis over Easter Weekend that affected all of us. They are recovering, but it is going to be a long road.

It's one of the most truly difficult things I've ever faced, and the Lord has had to work mightily in my heart, but the God of all my days is the God of this valley also. His faithful love has been with us for every breath.


There are many things to grieve. A lot of our daily life has changed. There were no Easter egg hunts this year, for the first time since I can remember. It is so hard to see someone going through this, to see our family so affected. 

But in the hard, there is grace. In the trials, there are lessons. And in the end, there is magnificent hope. We know that there is a world coming where none of this evil will exist anymore; and beyond that, we find ourselves now facing a new dawn, with a hope of real recovery. It's not going to be easy, but so few of the best things ever are.


Shortly after all this, my poor immune system, flooded with stress, absolutely fell flat on its face and I picked up a horrendous upper respiratory infection. I was completely knocked for six for a week and a half and, truth be told, I'm still not quite right. Autumn can be a bit brutal around here between the endless dust and the moody weather.

Despite the chaos, though, I made a point of still getting out to ride as often as possible, even though I haven't been mentally or physically at my best for weeks. It's becoming more and more obvious to me just how wonderful a gift these horses are and how much riding and spending time with them means to my very soul.


We can all find God in the Word. But I think we all have different places where we can also find Him in our daily lives; places He gives us. I have needed to run often to the strong tower, my rock, my refuge, my shield, the resounding horn of my salvation. For me, the place I run to find Him has always been on horseback. That's where I find the secret place where I can shelter under His wings. It's where I taste heaven and feel saturated in grace.

When the world is plunged into madness, there is still peace in the swing of a stride, the rhythm of breath, and the smell of horses.

I'll always be grateful for that.

God is good.


2 comments:

  1. Life can be overwhelming at times. I’m glad you have your faith and your family (2 and 4 legged).

    ReplyDelete

Easter Festival 2024

 Two of the best shows of the year are clustered together in our calendar. For some reason, they both fall in the height of African horse si...