Thursday 19 September 2024

Dressage Connection 2024

 We're in the privileged position where we live that we have many of the nation's nicest show venues within two hours of our home. KPC hosts all the big shows, Penbritte is my personal all-time favourite, and there are many others nearby in Joburg.

show photos by Denford Studios and Crystal Baldwin Photography

I'd never ridden at one specific venue, though, and it had become a bucket-list item for me. United Equestrian is one of the fanciest and most aesthetically pleasing venues in the country. Its gorgeous, beautifully decorated clubhouse oozes class, the arenas are stunning, and the whole layout is very horse-friendly, too. Sadly for me, it only hosts a handful of dressage shows each year. For 2024, the only one I saw was Dressage Connection.

this venue is drool-worthy

This is one of the best opportunities afforded to dressage riders in South Africa. Dressage Connection brings an international judge to South Africa a few weeks before our national championships, not only to judge riders, but to present a kind of mini-clinic. We receive videos of our tests with the judge's full commentary in real-time, as well as getting feedback directly after our tests. While each class is expensive---I normally pay around R400 (roughly $25) a test; this one was R1400 (closer to $65)---the judge also conducts a free seminar open to riders, spectators, and anyone else interested on the second day of the show, using footage from the show to explain scores and concepts.

It's a fantastic chance for South African riders to receive European input that goes beyond a score-sheet and, since the horses were kinder than normal this winter in terms of vet bills, I was able to pick one horsie to attend one test. Thunderbird was the obvious choice. I adore my dragonbeast, but she's not exactly conventional. Also, we only have about a 50% chance of standing still for judge feedback. No thanks.

I haven't shown Thunder on his own in years, but he was amazing---the best he's been all year. He loaded and traveled absolutely perfectly and arrived at the show with barely a twitch of an ear despite very noisy construction going on right next to the parking space. I tied him to the box and got him ready in a leisurely fashion, greatly helped by Erin when she arrived and did the most exquisite quarter marks on his ample bottom.

hubby resprayed my stirrups for me

Thunder was still being very relaxed as I saddled him up and headed to the warmup. The lovely large warmup is right next to the show arena, and both are surrounded by paddocks with resident horses in them. I'd had misgivings about being the last rider of the day (again), but thanks to these factors, there was no need to worry. He was chatty, as always, but never tense. He's perfected the art of whinnying to everyone without lifting his head or even getting tight. He just likes to say hello and announce his presence, which is fine with everyone, especially since I don't ride with a caller anyway.

He warmed up better than he ever has. Though we did have one teeny-tiny spook at an extremely ominous leaf, the rest was great---relaxed and stretchy on a loose rein. This venue has a huge screen next to the warmup featuring an enormous digital clock, which made a world of difference in timing our warmup. It was divine. I felt so spoiled. It was so easy to take our time through the stretching and suppling work knowing that we had time to spare.

peep my support crew in the background <3

When we moved into the canter work, he was instantly better than he has been at the last few shows. His canter was not particularly cadenced but had none of that four-beat nonsense he occasionally pulls out at home and almost always starts with at shows. Though he gave me a few late changes in the warmup, he was on the aid and instantly off my leg, which was great. They were those only-barely-late changes that I, to be honest, don't reliably feel yet. Erin helped me to feel them a bit better and we got them straightened out before we headed to the arena a little early as they'd allowed generous time for the judge's feedback.

This next bit boggled my tiny brain a little, but luckily Erin had been watching and pointed me in the right direction. The dressage arena was the length of the whole arena, with just enough space for the judge's box at the end. I'm in no way complaining---the venue had a friendly gate-opening man to let me in---it was just something I wasn't expecting. I walked in feeling like we'd broken the rules, but the judge kindly asked if I'd like to go around once and let my horse have a look around, so I relaxed instantly and said yes please. I proceeded to walk a lap on a loose rein looking like a complete fool because Thunder was half asleep by this point and didn't look at a single thing. I let the judge know we were ready, and he rang us in.

Though our scores might not reflect it, this felt like the best test we've ever ridden together. There were no big mistakes except that his first flying change was sort of late---that kind of barely-late for which some judges will nail you and others will give you a 6 if it's calm and on the aid. That was our worst mark. I was a little distracted in the trot half circles and didn't make them quite accurate. Apart from that, I felt like we put in a good effort, with no major oopsies, and that Thunder was a real dream. He was a bit sleepy but I didn't feel like I had to boot him through any of the movements; he gave me both changes willingly and on the aid. His halts were super, and his walk work was great. Instead of giving a play-by-play recap, here's the video. Sound up for the scores and the judge's comments.



The judge was extremely kind, constructive, but accurate in his feedback. I had half expected to be screamed at by an angry German, but I absolutely loved how much the judge put me at ease and had good things to say as well as giving solid criticism. He complimented Thunder's obedience and willingness but mentioned that he was flat in his canter. Looking at the video, Thunder was pretty flat for the entire test, which is par for the course for him but I can and do get him more engaged at home. It wasn't anything new to us, but it was so good to have that feedback in real time, and the video was extremely helpful. I hadn't realized how many marks we lose for gait quality despite doing really correct and accurate movements, like the last centreline where we only got a 7 because of the trot quality when the halt itself was an 8.

so fancy!

Overall, it was not a cheap show to attend, but it was absolutely worth it. The venue is breathtaking, the judge was great, and I regret that we couldn't stick around for the seminar. It was amazing to go dancing with my Thunder while my dear husband and my best friend were there to support me. I loved every second!

1 comment:

  1. wow that's really awesome to get the video of the judging itself! i always like adding the judge's scores and comments as captions on my video to try to put it together with the real time ride, but hearing tone of voice and all the narrative (beyond what just makes it into the written comments) adds so much value! we used to do these videos for the little fix-a-test clinics i organized at my last farm - so that the audio would pick up the judge's feedback, and folks loved it!

    also --- nice job, test looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Dressage Connection 2024

 We're in the privileged position where we live that we have many of the nation's nicest show venues within two hours of our home. K...