Monday 9 January 2023

Chaos and Grace

 The two words I can pick to describe how 2022 went for me. I don't think so much has ever changed so quickly in my life, but one thing never changes: the grace of God. He worked mightily in my life this year and I can't wait to see what He does next.

Here's a brief recap, since I was also a particularly useless blogger last year.


January, on Shy Boy, the one thing I truly miss about working at the Friesians.



February - Vainly struggling to keep Thunder in full work by lungeing in the very late evenings after days so full I didn't have time for meals. The burnout was real.


Still loving going out with the kiddos. I was wrestling very hard with myself at this point. Something had to give, but I didn't know if it was going to be the yard or the Friesians. My head told me that I still wanted a dressage career, but my heart, as always, was here at Morning Star.


Struggling through SANESA qualifiers as well as I could, but still unable to stop loving the kiddos. It was a tough SANESA year, too, which didn't help, but ultimately I'm so glad of the choice I made. Tough years or not, this yeard is my heart.


Halter training Lass and Rose that summer, then weaning them and sending them to their owners in autumn, was one of my favourite parts of 2022. I loved having the three foals and they were so, so cute and friendly. I'm so proud of the horses they're becoming and we'll get to see at least Rose at HOY in February.


My first Medium and last show on one of the Friesians.


Getting a last few points under Thunder's belt to be able to go Medium on him after this, too. This was the last time I rode him until after I left the Friesians two months later, and it was the beginning of massive change and turmoil for me, but all good things in which God was gracious even when they were hard.


Wynnie won her first show the very next day. She was another favourite thing of mine about this year and I love the person she's becoming.


Late April, and the beginning of an epic friendship and many more Lancey adventures as EM and I climbed a mountain while serving as volunteer medics for this fun walk. This was an amazing day and buoyed me through a really tough time.


The last photo of me on one of the Friesians. Miss Sassy was so good, but I don't miss it.


Another EM and Lancey adventure pic!


After that it was a mad whirlwind until the end of June. God led me to quit the Friesians and keep the yard, and I did. We still had to get through the notice period and the tail end of the chaotic SANESA season, and things only really started to change after we went on our first real holiday together, after four years of dating. An entire week of sun and sea (even in African midwinter) together was an incredible reset for us both.


And it ended in my then-boyfriend, always-perfect man getting down on one knee and asking me to marry him. This was my second favourite moment of 2022, and you'll see why shortly.


When we got back, we started to settle into a new life, while also working to plan and pay for a wedding in record time. It was a sweet, sweet time in our relationship, but also a hard time in our lives. In short order, we had to put precious Magic to sleep, although I am relieved, now, that he's running free at last. Weeks later, half the farm burned to the ground. God was with us through all of it.


Arwen came back into work - another favourite thing. I love being back on my good little grey mare.


In a matter of weeks, we loved and lost Xena Warrior Princess Sadler.


I brought Thunder back into light-to-medium work, which fluctuated a bit as wedding planning began to majorly intensify. I was also given a new ghostwriting contract which I love with all my soul.


We took our engagement pics with a favourite horse show photographer, Tanneth Bern, and they came out absolutely perfect in every way.


Then came the most amazing day of my life so far 💜 The man of my prayers married me in a tiny ceremony on our beloved farm. Lancey carried me to the aisle, wedding dress and all 💜


It was not a perfect day, but it was beautiful and worshipful and joyous, and God's presence flooded it. I pray the same will be true of our marriage 💜



Now for a whole new chapter. A new job, a new routine, a new marriage, a new vision. Walking into 2023 as Mrs. Firn Sadler, with a heart full of hope and peace, joy and love. I don't know what this year is going to be like, but I know God's in it. And that's reason enough to rejoice.

God is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Easter Festival 2024

 Two of the best shows of the year are clustered together in our calendar. For some reason, they both fall in the height of African horse si...